At Carmel New Church School in Kitchener, we have a yearly theme that sets the tone for the rest of the year. This year’s theme is perseverance and patience.
As the school year starts to wind down, it’s important to encourage children to stay focussed in order to complete academic tasks. With your support, your child will develop perseverance as well as a sense of accomplishment.
Here are some helpful tips:
- Make sure your child knows that it’s normal to have trouble staying focussed, that we all go through it, and that there are ways to work around it.
- Keep the lines of communication open with your child’s teacher to help identify any areas that your child may be struggling with.
- Work together with your child to make a list of tasks to accomplish (academic, routine, recreational) and put them on a calendar. This will help your children recognize and focus on what needs to be completed each day.
- Provide praise and encouragement when they’ve completed a task.
- Schedule homework time. If your child needs a physical or mental break between school and homework, schedule this in.
- Motivate your child with a fun activity or reward, like choosing the next family movie, to encourage them to finish a task or keep on track.
- Maintain a balance between outdoor activity and homework. Make sure they’re able to get their exercise as this will only assist with their health and wellness.
- Keep your routine intact. It can be easy to let go of habits like proper bedtimes, family meals and limiting screen time, but staying on top of your routine will keep your children on track as well.
- Plan for summer. If your child is getting distracted, take a break and chat about plans for the summer, whether it’s a family vacation, summer camps or just enjoying the weather. It will give them something to look forward to and encourage them to keep the end in mind.
To learn more about the Carmel New Church School in Kitchener, please contact us!